Friday, May 14, 2010

A change in plans

It's been a really interesting week. My husband took Monday off to go fishing, and Tuesday when he went to work, they told him that there would be no positions for him to transfer to so he could either work until June 17th (which he had been told would be their last day over a month ago) or he could leave right then and still be paid through June 17th. Of course he left. We knew this was coming, but just assumed we had another month before we had to act. He has been looking for other opportunities and updating his resume but he had said he wanted to go back to school for........drumroll..........to be a nurse. That's right-he is going to go to school for the next two years to be a nurse. He didn't waste any time at all either. Wednesday was his first day having no job and he was down at UNLV and CSN and NSC checking out their programs and enrolled in Nevada State College for summer classes. Jumping right in with both feet. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it-I mean I am so glad I married a "go getter" and someone so ambitious. And his job was not the kind that stimulated the brain at all, but it was a good job that had great retirement and great benefits. Justin and I are pretty conservative and grounded and when he went looking for a new career when Marissa was a baby, we wanted something that would provide security. So of course he applied to County, City and Local Government jobs thinking that would be the place that would keep us safe and sound. 200 people lost their job at the City of North Las Vegas with anticipated 500 more to follow. He was just too low on the totem pole to survive the cuts.

So he's had the "opportunity" to reinvent himself, decide again what he wants to be when he grows up. And of course now he is thinking, what job will really survive a bad economy? So he gravitated to nursing. He's good with people and he's smart, and loves to be challenged, and has no problem with blood and guts-seems like the perfect fit right? It isn't at all what I anticipated though-supporting my family while my husband goes back to school full time. I thought we had it all figured out, I mean he went "back to school" 8 years ago to get his bachelor's degree! I thought we were done with that phase right!? I can't help but wish we were younger and doing this but I'm trying not to look at the negative side and the "what if's" and just be grateful to have our family and health and a home and be glad for my job. I know we are in for a ride for the next couple years so I'm strapping in!

2 comments:

The Pemberton Family said...

You are a strong woman and a strong family!! You will pull through this and be stronger for it. WE LOVE YOU GUYS!!

Blissful & Domestic said...

that is awesome about going back to school. I am sorry that Justin lost his job, but how exciting for him to get to really try out for something he is passionate about. how is everything else going on with your family? Miss you Marcelle and all the HC Young Women:>